Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cancer Sucks.

This Ozzie look-alike below is my dad. He's pretty awesome. My sister and I stuck this wig on him and had a good laugh. He's 72. And just found out he's in the end stages of Melanoma. Cancer seriously sucks. There isn't much you can do at this point, and he's already in home hospice. My mom is his caretaker along with some awesome nurses.



Here we are a few years ago in front of our house in Minnesota. My dad is the best gardener. He's also a retired 0-6 from the Mn Air Guard and the most giving, smart, and loyal guy in the world.

My Mom and Dad came up from their place in Arizona twice this winter to hang out with our family. It was so awesome for Keegan and Maggie to get fun time with Grampie T. It was just a few months after this that he out of the blue got his diagnosis. Doesn't he look good here?

It's hard for me to even post these pictures because my dad just doesn't look like my dad. It was the beginning of May when we found out about Dad. Connor was named after his grandpa, they share the middle name Keating- an Irish name from my dad's side. Connor and I flew up to Minnesota for him to meet his grandpa last week. It was a tough week but a few times I saw my dad's eyes light up when he was holding, or in 'charge' of Connor. Here are my mom and dad with the latest offspring:
Dad can't walk anymore. He didn't want me to take any pictures of him in his wheelchair but I snuck this one. He was able to be in charge of this little 6 week old guy:
I can't even tell you how different my dad looks than just 2 months ago. He has no appetite, can't really dress himself, but still respectfully insists on wearing regular clothes each day. His body is a skeleton of what it used to be. I love that my dad was ALWAYS "on a diet" but sneaking sweets left and right. That's how I am. This is the first time I've known him to be beyond thin, and find no enjoyment from food.
You can see a little smile here in my Dad's face. I'm so glad he got to have a little bit of sunlight when he met Connor. Everyone, please wear your sunscreen. Cancer is one evil animal and it takes the best of us out of this world. Love you dad.

7 comments:

Cap Fam said...

Julie, I am so sorry to hear the news of your Dad. Thank you so much for having the courage to share this. I can't believe how amazingly difficult this chapter in your family's life must be, but in true Thode fashion I'm sure you are all bound together by the obvious joy of one another that is always so evident. What a blessing that you were all able to spend time together with Connor.
Your friends, The Caps

thedeavers said...

Your dad is such a wonderful guy...I hate that he has to go through this, and I'm thinking about the entire Thode family a lot right now. It's so clear from your post what a great dad he's been and how much you love him.

Unknown said...

Juile...I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family. Hang in there and remember you've got a whole bunch of people here for whatever you need!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

julie,
my heart is with you and your family. I lost my dad to cancer and it does suck.

I love that he insists on wearing his normal clothes- and that wig picture is awesome.

love him, talk to him, get all the good stories out of him and enjoy every second that he is still around.

hugs. big old hugs.

Molly said...

Jules, to mirror Katie's sentiment, we all love your dad (and mom) and see how lucky you guys are to have him as your dad. Just look at how good you kids all turned out! Thinking of you guys and sending prayers for your dad and family.

Firehouse mama said...

I am so sorry Julie. My heart aches for your family. I am so glad you've had your dad and he's been able to meet and love each of your children.

Kate said...

Julie - I am so sorry about your Dad...and what your whole family is going through. He's very luck to have you and your family behind him in a time like this! You will all be in my prayers. <3