Monday, February 02, 2009

A Final Goodbye To Gonny


My sweet, 99 year old grandma, "Gonny" was buried today in Minnesota. Although for the past decade she hasn't been quite the spunky lady I'll always remember her as, it's tough to have to really say goodbye.

Some of Gonny's best teachings:
"Service is the rent you pay for the space you occupy"
"This above all, to thine own self be true" (I think she got that one from someone else)

Age is a quality of mind.

If you have left your dreams behind,
If hope is cold,
If you no longer look ahead,
If your ambitions' fires are dead --
Then you are old.

But if from life you take the best,
And if in life you keep the jest,
If love you hold; No matter how the years go by,
No matter how the birthdays fly-- You are not old.

And in Gonny's case, it was pretty true! Gonny was my golfing bud, and although I could wack a 200 yard drive, she's always beat me because she'd pull out her 4 wood and hit perfectly straight shots right up the middle until it was putting time. Which of course she prevailed at, as a member of the lady's putting club!

Cheers to Gon Bon and her yummy smelling Windsor cocktails. We will have no Regrets.

3 comments:

Firehouse mama said...

i'm sorry fo your loss...but 99 years is awesome, I'm so glad you had that time with her!

breemunger said...

J- Sorry for the loss of Gonny. Sounds like she was a great lady! I am glad Maggie got to meet her!

Molly said...

J- I LOVE her wisdom, what great things to leave you with. Memories are a powerful thing, and I know you have such great ones of Gonny.