Tuesday, April 20, 2010

GOOOOOOOAAAALL or, not so much

So the time has finally come and Maggie got to have her first soccer game (indoors!) at the YMCA. She falls in the 3-4.5 age group and missed her first game but was really excited for this one.

Here she is with her game face on, pre-game graham cracker, her Puma warm up from Lisa and Tom, and her pink shin guards.



And, here she is with a little more spunk:
It was cold and rainy out and Dad carried in both kids. We didn't realize what a challenge it would be to keep Keegan AWAY from the soccer balls, and get Maggie to want to go TOWARD the soccer ball
Here is an action shot of the coach dealing with the 2 girls on the team. The one on her right cried through the whole game, and Maggie just stood around. At this play the ball is in the opposite corner. Not really seeing that natural talent yet...
So, both girls were benched. Maggie was kicking her feet and having a great time. When I asked her after the game what her favorite part of her soccer game she said "Sitting on the side, waiting for my turn". Doesn't really sound like a Thode or a Mulloy, but she's our Mags and we love her.
At night Bri asked her again if she had fun at soccer. She said "yeah, but no one was sharing with me!". Hmmm, parental advice, warn them ahead of time that sharing isn't part of the game! We'll see next Saturday if anything changes. Maybe we should strap the pink shin guards on Keegan since he can't WAIT to get out there on the field!

2 comments:

Angelique said...

I come from a long line of dutch soccer players. My uncle started the soccer program at University of Memphis. My dad and all my uncles actively coached in the youth leagues when i was little. All of my cousins played soccer growing up, many for their college teams and several now in over 30 leagues. My favorite part of the game growing up? Picking clover. My favorite part of the game now? Cheering for my team on tv. :-) Maybe she will inherit that love of the game instead of the love of actually playing the game?

Shelly said...

Ha ha!!!! Isn't it funny watching them at this age. They have NO IDEA what sports and competition is about. I wonder when it will kick in?? Dane is in "soccer," and he just runs around and falls on the ground. The coach is constantly telling him to get up and participate :-).